Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: minimum tick time

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: minimum tick time
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 14:28:23 EET

>> >Okay. In that case I am a bit confused of what approach to take
>> >to write a application with low latency and GUI interaction.
>> >If I use alsa in non-block mode, my GUI (and everything else)
>>
>> don't use non-block mode. use poll(2).
>
>Okay, but how do I get higher timer resolution than 100 Hz with poll?
>Am I missing some kernel patch?

what do you want the timer for? if you use a PCM device, it *is* a
timer, much more accurate than the system timer. you can simply keep
count of how many frames you have moved since time N, and you have the
time accurate to 1/SR seconds (as accurately as the PCM sample clock,
anyway).

however, it sounds as if you have some other goal in mind ...

--p