Re: [linux-audio-dev] JACK and licenses: a very important question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] JACK and licenses: a very important question
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 20:40:54 EET

>I personally prefer the LGPL for libraries and JACK seems to be one.

interesting point you made me remember. what i think makes more sense
is to use LGPL for the modules that support the API utself, but GPL
for those that are executables or drivers. Thus, the JACK server will
be GPL, along with the ALSA driver module. But the "library" will be
LGPL. this way, non-free programs can use the library, but the server
and driver(s) cannot be co-opted in the same way.

>But it's your code isn't it? Itsn't it up to you to choose then?

my code, but JACK represents one possible outcome of a couple of
years' discussion on LAD and input by many people.

--p