Re: [linux-audio-dev] time stretching and compression under Linux ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] time stretching and compression under Linux ?
From: Joshua Haberman (joshua_AT_haberman.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 05:17:10 EET

* Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net) wrote:
> you should be counting programmer time as worth at least US$30/hr even
> if you don't actually pay them.

[and]

> 3 months after i had been paid to put in about 20 hours on these
> workarounds at the going device driver/kernel/application consultant
> rate, they threw the cheap IR sensors away and bought decent IR
> sensors. it cost them a little under half what they paid me to write
> the software workaround.

Speaking only for myself here, I must remind you what it is to be young.
Money is short and time is plentiful. It makes no sense to count
programmer time (eg, my own time) as $30/hr, because no one will pay me
$30 an hour to write code (if anyone believes the contrary, please direct
me to the employer who will).

The economics of a young programmer also include the learning experience
that completing or at least attempting a project entails.

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman  <joshua_AT_haberman.com>