Re: [linux-audio-dev] time stretching and compression under Linux ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] time stretching and compression under Linux ?
From: Nick Bailey (n.j.bailey_AT_elec.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 10:56:02 EET

motet_AT_zoom.co.uk wrote:

> hi,
>
> i'm looking for a powerful time stretching and compression
> tool for Linux, something on the level of the ProTools plugin.
> what i will need is something that will allow time
> stretching and compression based on calculations of number
> of samples, or compression to a specific length, in
> divisions of 0.001 sec.
>
> it doesn't matter whether its an application or a plugin -
> but as far as i can remember i havent seen anything quite
> like this for linux, and wondered if anyone has been working
> on anything similiar.
>
> what i will be using it for will be a quite unique project -
> with any luck, we might be able to hack the code a little
> and use it to synchronise input from two soundcards
> simultaneously... i can give more details if you are interested.
>
> i'd be grateful for any help or suggestions,

You could use CSound: http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linux_csound.html
The phase vocoder will compress/expand the time axis for you.

There's a spinoff of some research we've been doing in Timbre here:
http://sculptor.sourceforge.net/sculptor.shtml but these are twiddly
little programs written for research purposes and not intended for
actual *use*, so don't expect them to be useful (or even work 8-) The
CVS is written with GTK, and is out of date (fails to handles interrupts
properly due to ana nnoying GTKism). If you are interested I'll email
you again when we've finished the patch, but I won't be offended if you
aren't 8-)

I think Paul was right about syncing 2 soundcards, but not about telling
you off for trying. People won't work on open source projects if their
told to, they just have to realise it's The Way. So good luck.

Regards,

Nick/