Re: [linux-audio-dev] JACK and licenses: a very important question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] JACK and licenses: a very important question
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 09:04:40 EET

It really blew my mind when Andre Pang <ozone_AT_algorithm.com.au> said:

> Are you going to allow the JACK library to be statically linked if
> it's LGPLed? You can use an LGPLed library in your own program if
> it's dynamically linked, but you're not allowed to statically link
> it since it's considered a derivative work. (Or something like
> that :).

Yep, thats pretty much the case.

> I have a feeling that non-free software will _want_ to statically
> link things in just to avoid problems with installing the library
> separately, etc etc.

I faced exactly the same problem with libsndfile. My approach was that
if they want to link statically to libsndfile they can go and get fscked.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb."
-- Steve Hoflich in comp.lang.c++