Re: [linux-audio-dev] JACK CVS is now up, along with an empty web site

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] JACK CVS is now up, along with an empty web site
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 06:00:05 EET

>Ok, looks like snd_pcm_hw_params_get_channels_max() returns a ridiculous
>value for my setup (16 million channels, not quite right :). Hardcoding
>this to 2 for this case allows the jack server to load.

ah. actually, 16 million is exactly right, because the ALSA PCM device
"default" is, by default, using the plug layer and is deliberately
designed to handle "any" number of channels requested by the user.

this is a well known issue with ALSA. fernando (from ccrma/snd) and
abramo and i and jaroslav and some others discussed this at great
length on alsa-devel earlier this year.

its a *deeply* problematic area. your patch, unfortunately, isn't the
correct solution, not by a long shot. however, i will apply it because
it will help JACK run for the time being without us having to define
the correct solution for people (which involves the ALSA conf files,
and what "default" actually means). and thanks for the other patches too.

thanks.

--p