Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple question on JACK and callbacks

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Simple question on JACK and callbacks
From: Richard Guenther (rguenth_AT_tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 11:15:48 EET

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Paul Davis wrote:

> >> i know that gstreamer (and perhaps GLAME too) appear to have worked
> >> these issues out. if so, thats great, and i hope that their designs
> >> can be incorporated into jackd at some point, so that (1) if there are
> >> independent substreams and (2) there are more than 2 processors then
> >> it could support multiple audio threads. there are some vague ideas
> >> present in the existing code base that point in this direction.
> >
> >Well, I don't think GStreamer has completely worked things out yet.
>
> all i meant was that i think both gstreamer and glame can (correctly)
> identify independent subgraphs in the overall graph. the rest of their
> infrastructure and design isn't relevant apart from where it affects
> their ability to do this.
>
> can someone correct me if i'm wrong about this ability?

You're right wrt GLAME - GLAME does use as much processors as are
currently available (tested on 4-way, dont have a machine with more
processors available here). But it does so by using the operating
systems capability to schedule readyy-to-run threads, not by analyzing
the graph.

Richard.

--
Richard Guenther <richard.guenther_AT_uni-tuebingen.de>
The GLAME Project: http://www.glame.de/