Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] latencytest results webpage

Subject: Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] latencytest results webpage
From: Andre Pang (ozone_AT_algorithm.com.au)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 15:08:47 EET

On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 03:08:39PM +0100, Maarten de Boer wrote:

> Sounds very good. I can provide server space to host the test results,
> and write some CGI to display them.

The current scripts I'm using are pretty similar to Benno's
scripts in his latencytest package -- i.e. they output raw HTML
which can then be uploaded to a server.

> I think the best way is to submit
> them by e-mail, having the test scripts write out an e-mailable
> form.

I actually think something like a WikiWikiWeb would be the best
idea, but that requires setting up a WikiWikiWeb, which is
something I don't have time for right now. Maybe you'd like to
check that out? (http://www.twiki.org)

Otherwise, I agree, email submission would be the easiest.

> I am not very sure though what to do with the images; are these
> really necesary to get a good idea of the results, or would the
> maximum latency + number of underruns by sufficient?

THe images allow you to get a very fast overview of the results;
they're much quicker to look at and understand than interpreting
the raw data. I think we should definitely leave them in.

Some suggestions please: what kind of system information do we
want to include with the results? I'm thinking of using /proc to
found out the system details. So far, the only files I'm reading
in are:

    cpuinfo pci interrupts modules

Anybody want to add to that list? It's not meant to be complete,
btw, just a starting point :).

I'm thinking of having a master "all results" page in the format
of a table, which looks something like:

    Max Lat Underruns CPU type (MHz) HD type HD model etc
    5ms 69 Athlon (800) IDE Foo
    10ms 69 Celeron (500) SCSI Bar

One feature I'm thinking of is that you can sort the page by the
column headings.

Ideas are welcome!

--
#ozone/algorithm <ozone_AT_algorithm.com.au>          - trust.in.love.to.save