Re: [linux-audio-dev] latencytest results webpage

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] latencytest results webpage
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 09:47:34 EET

On Fri, 2001-11-16 at 05:28, Andre Pang wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2001 at 10:26:23AM +0100, Maarten de Boer wrote:
>
> > I am thinking of setting up a webpage, where people can post
> > their latencytest results, so we can keep an inventory of
> > the several combinations, categorising on:
>
> This is a great idea. I actually started re-writing the latency
> testing harness scripts because I thought they were too
> inflexible, and I'm almost finished with the re-write. The idea
> is to include as much system information as possible in the
> results , such as kernel version, processor, SMP, VM parameters,
> as well as making it easy to add new tests to the testing suite.
> (Think 'download new file and drop in directory' easy).
>
> I'll write the list when the new testing suite is ready for
> release.

I'm also interested in an online Linux latency database and have written
about it before (not sure which list). It would be nice if the
latencytest program could generate machine parse-able system info files
that could be easily uploaded to a web form. This web form could also
contain questions that can't be automatically determined (kernel
patches, name and email address of submitter, etc). Perhaps the .config
file from kernel compiles could also be uploaded. Seems like a database
like this would grow quite large so it would be nice to start it off
organized. A database like this would really help users figure out what
to get for a new system and help Linux developers figure out problem
drivers.

As far as the graphs, perhaps raw floating point data (to conserve
space) could be written for each test, that could be rendered into an
image on the fly on the web. This would also enable complex latency data
analysis, perhaps thats overboard though :)

Lets start a list of fields in the database (tab delimited in email):

Name Name of person submitting results
Email Email address
Date Date of submission

TestVersion Latencytest version
TestFrags # of audio fragments during test
TestFragSize Size of each audio fragment
TestFileSize Size of file for disk tests
TestList List of tests performed (example: "X, proc, write, read, copy")

KernelVersion Kernel version tested
KernelPatches List of patches applied (PE, LL, AA, etc)
KernelCC Kernel compiler string (example: gcc-2.96)
KernelCPU CPU kernel compiled for (386, Pentium, PIII, etc)

FileSystem File system type for disk tests (ext2, reiserfs, etc)
IDEParms IDE hard disk parameters (example: "-d 1 -c 1")

XWinVersion X windows version
SoundDriver Sound driver (OSS/ALSA)
SoundVersion Version of sound driver
VideoDriver Video driver string (NVIDIA-1.0-1541, X, etc)

MBoardVendor Mother board vendor (ASUS, Intel, etc)
MBoardModel Mother board model string
MBoardChipset Mother board chipset vendor and model (VIA, Intel, AMD,
etc)

CPUCount # of CPUs in system
CPUType Type of CPU (x86, PPC, etc)
CPUVendor CPU vendor (AMD, Intel, Motorola, etc)
CPUModelName "model name" field in /proc/cpuinfo
CPUMHz "cpu MHz" field in /proc/cpuinfo

RAMSize Amount of memory (in megabytes)

HDType Type of hard disk for disk tests (IDE/SCSI)
HDModel Hard disk vendor/model string

VideoVendor Video card vendor (nvidia, trident, ati, etc)
VideoModel Video card model

SoundVendor Sound card vendor (Creative, Trident, etc)
SoundModel Sound card model string

Custom1Type Type of custom hardware (NIC, SCSI card, etc)
Custom1Model Model and vendor string of custom hardware
Custom2Type Type of custom hardware (NIC, SCSI card, etc)
Custom2Model Model and vendor string of custom hardware
Custom3Type Type of custom hardware (NIC, SCSI card, etc)
Custom3Model Model and vendor string of custom hardware

Did I forget anything? Something wrong with my thinking?

My preferred web development platform is probably PHP/MySQL. I probably
have some time to work on something like this so lets start discussing
details :) Would be nice to have a list to discuss this project, should
we just use one of the existing lists (linux-audio-dev?) Perhaps
starting a sourceforge project would give us a nice place to develop
this thing.

--
    Josh Green
    Smurf Sound Font Editor (http://smurf.sourceforge.net)