Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA/JACK/LAIC [OT]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LAAGA/JACK/LAIC [OT]
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 08:14:15 EEST

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, David Gerard Matthews Jr. wrote:
> Marek Peteraj wrote:
> > > 3) Most people would have no idea how to say "LAIC"
> > Laic - of or relating to the laity - all those who are not members of a
> > profession or specialized field. I think it should be a symbolic word
> > for how LAAGA/JACK works (see above). It should not be a problem
> > for those who speak english...But one can still visit www.webster.com,
> > they have audio-pronunciations online :)
> Actually, those who speak English would have the most trouble figuring
> out how to pronounce "LAIC", because "ai" doesn't have a standardized
> pronunciation. Is it pronounced like "lake"? Or is it "like"? Or "lae
> -ik"? Etc....

well, if you know what it means you shouldn't have a problem pronouncing
it - it's pronounced like laity (the 'a' and the 'i' are in two different
syllables. it's sort of like "stoic"). and it's not like we don't have a
problem figuring out how to pronounce linux, which is completely made up.

getting way off-topic,
dave