Re: [linux-audio-dev] NAMING and related [OT?]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] NAMING and related [OT?]
From: Kevin Conder (kconder_AT_interaccess.com)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2001 - 01:44:34 EEST

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Kardamone wrote:

> Many musicians would use linux+audio+midi(+video) rather than windows if they
> didn't need to be/ask a hacker...I think anything that can be made to improve
> linux usability for non-programmers is to be done.
>
> Any ideas?

        Now you got me started...

        1. Package early and often.

There's a difference between a ball of code and an application. Just
because you check in something into CVS doesn't absolve you of any
responsibility to your users. (Make sure a fresh build will compile!)
Please release your code as an easily installable package. Until LSB is
adopted, please supply both RPMs and DEBs.

        2. Test your program on different distros.

Just because your program works on your computer, doesn't mean it will
install/work on others. If you have a spare computer, use it to test your
program with as many distros as you can. (Make sure you are testing with
last year's distros too!) Otherwise, have people with different distros
try your program. LUGs are a good place to find people with various
distros.

        3. Use stable libraries.

Believe it or not, most musicians value stability. There's nothing
more frustrating than losing time and effort to a buggy system. Forcing
users to install a beta version of a library is forcing them to make their
system unstable.

        4. Keep your documentation up-to-date.

Putting an HTML manual on your project's Website and letting it become
obsolete is just not acceptable. Keep your documentation in sync with
program releases. Also, please put the documentation in a single
downloadable file.

        5. Watch non-programmers try to use it.

Have someone who isn't a programmer try to use your application. Since
most musicians are non-programmers, it should be easy to find someone.
Shut up and watch where they stumble. Fix it. Repeat with fresh users.

-- kevin at kevindumpscore dot com