[linux-audio-dev] NAMING and related [OT?]

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] NAMING and related [OT?]
From: Kardamone (kardamone2_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 21:17:54 EEST

First of all : please consider that this is only a mind-slipping around naming
practices in linux dev and some patterns they imply... I mean don't take it
personnal please ;)

I think JACK's good for 2 reasons,

1 :

> its name allready expresses what it does
> And I pretty much thing every musician in the world knows what a Jack is as
> they use them all the time... So they allready have a way to pronounce it.

witch is great, straight forward, ...flashy IMHO.

2 :

My belief (just a matter of opinion) is that linux hackers community should
begin to produce some GLOBALLY intelligible (thus usable)
'verbs/idioms/metaphors'. In other words : leave the "speaking in tongue elite"
syndrome to linux adolescence. For me LAIC is possibly just another example of
that attitude "well I know this name is not fully understood by every average
body but that's what it is designed for anyway hehe.. not too apealing, just as
explicit as I need it to be, real guys know what it is supposed to do, others
are lame."

> Depends on how many times you've heard somebody complaining about
> something in Linux because Windows does it differently... and wanted
> to say almost exactly that phrase...

This statement is something I'm not used to hear but I often think about...
Although Windows is not a good example for many reasons, linux has some huge
work to fulfil towards workability :

> Ditto here. I'd rather spend my time recording/playing music than
> compiling/configuring a sound card.

Mmmmh, yes that's stone-age of user experience.. ;)

I know different distributions/toolkits are the major issue about having a
"plug-n-play-like" mechanism but the inverse pathologic ability of linux is
nauseous to almost anybody : "Linux is sooooo cool that I can set up a
mail-based FS/disc browser with a 27k (very light weight) program of mine, I
just have to setup a localhost mail server (compiled from the source distro),
just note that to run mail-ls you must have libfnh, libtrge, libfdsre, and
cdbxrt up and running (ah you don't know what the hell is that? well that's easy
: just check libfnh.org, libtrge.org, libfdsre.org, and cdbxrt.org for
compliation/installation notes and configuration of these
extremely-powerfull-almost-all-purpose software pieces).. Then any mail-client
will fit the purpose. For operation notes type man ls, any command will fit in
the subject field.... that's linux magic!"

Well this is science-fiction (near) but just intended to point on some questions
that could be worth to be adressed soon and especially in the music/artistic
field where users experience is related to fragile creatives processes...

The non-programmer & doc post was really a good reflexion in that direction I
think... It raises the existence of potential non-programmer users of linux and
the possible improvement that can be made to adapt toward this family of users.

Many musicians would use linux+audio+midi(+video) rather than windows if they
didn't need to be/ask a hacker...I think anything that can be made to improve
linux usability for non-programmers is to be done.

Any ideas?