Re: [linux-audio-dev] beat slicer under linux?(was: Software for slicing up ripped sample CD)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] beat slicer under linux?(was: Software for slicing up ripped sample CD)
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 16:20:38 EEST

>Slightly off topic either but is there any beat-slicer under linux right now?
>I wonder how much effort it would take to port such app from windows to
>linux? There used to be such app under windows, it was freeware, but
>it's not available anymore...

1) my experience, as i mentioned before, is that the GUI for complex
   audio+MIDI applications, is at least 2/3 of the code, and at least
   that much of the effort. since its unlikely that xrazor was written
   using any kind of cross-platform toolkit, porting such a beast (if
   the code was available) would be a difficult undertaking. the
   "insides" of such programs are relatively easy to write.

2) depending on what you mean by a beat slicer, i'd very much like
   to add this functionality to ardour. we already have regions,
   and can export regions to audio files. a framework for sample dumps
   and MIDI note maps would be needed.

--p