Re: [linux-audio-dev] stats please.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] stats please.
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 09:51:39 EEST

> You have to remember that musicians as a whole are an extremely
>conservative bunch.

Remember what? Humans are prone to forgetting so lets exploit their
stupidity. Advertisisng is all about lying but GNU is not so how do we
best represent the middle ground?

Is anyone going to shoot me if I advertise the best best case latency?
Should I put a banner on the LAU-guide that says you can get 0.75 msec
Full duplex latency or should I tell the truth that we can only get 2.6
msec latency? Actually I'll do both. But before I do is 0.75 msec the
best best case?

>Many of them out there still swear by 2-inch analog tape!

I have many muso friends who are very interested in getting a Linux
system running. The hard part for them is finding someone who can help
them through the first few baby steps. I know of a few people who are
totally fed up with the crap they have to put up with to run their doze
or macs setup. They are also people who love to learn something new.
There are a lot of musos who spend far too much time playing with their
playstation when they could actually be learning how to make digital
music.

In that respect Linux provides a perfect setup for them. Once they
realise that using linux is like playing the most advanced computer game
in the world they really get into it.

IMO the biggest problem for CJ's is that the general public don't think
that a computer can be an instrument. At best they only think it is a
tool at worst they just don't think.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware
Ltd.