Re: [linux-audio-dev] single-instance LADSPA plugins useful?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] single-instance LADSPA plugins useful?
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 11:12:54 EEST

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 06:24:24PM -0700, John Lazzaro wrote:
> Let me know, if there's no user interest in
> a single-instanced LADSPA, I won't spend cycles
> doing one ... there are enough audio and control
> drivers in sfront that no one uses already :-).

Well, as the guy who asked for this (at least most recently), I will
say this: It's not ideal, certainly. I'd prefer plugins that I can run
multiple instances of. But:

1) we could do some pretty cool stuff anyway.

2) it would be a relatively quick way to find out if LADSPA-via-sfront
is worth pursuing further.

3) maybe if you got single-instance LADSPA output working, some other
LAD contributors would be more motivated to help with the
multi-instance problems? But then, maybe not. I suspect people with
good C chops are mostly happy to write plugins in C, whereas I can do
a lot with csound that I wouldn't know where to start in C.

Also, solving issues for LADSPA might overlap considerably with
solving for, let's say, VST, which I'm sure would gain some attention
for sfront (if that's desirable to you).

--
 custom calendars:   http://www.calendargalaxy.com