Re: [linux-audio-dev] stats please.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] stats please.
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 12:12:31 EEST

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
<snip>
> Is anyone going to shoot me if I advertise the best best case latency?
> Should I put a banner on the LAU-guide that says you can get 0.75 msec
> Full duplex latency or should I tell the truth that we can only get 2.6
> msec latency?

the latter - please...

> Actually I'll do both. But before I do is 0.75 msec the
> best best case?

as said before, best-case-latency is like the surgeons telling you
before they anaesthesize you that there are actually rumours of
people surviving this operation.

if you miss a deadline, you are utterly hosed, so you can't do any
useful work at "best best case" latency.

as you said before, open source is not about cheating. its strength
is its modesty. "here it is, we've done the best we can, take it or
leave it or better yet, send fixes."

> >Many of them out there still swear by 2-inch analog tape!

which in terms of user interface straightforwardness and sex appeal
easily outdoes both the mac and linux systems. (ignore me, i'm a
relic)

<snip>

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany