[linux-audio-dev] soundcards

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] soundcards
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Tue Oct 16 2001 - 07:03:18 EEST

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, David Gerard Matthews Jr. wrote (edited):

> I'm looking to replace my SBLive with a "pro" device. Basically, it
> boils down to an RME Hammerfall or a Delta 1010. The biggest problems
> I see with the Hammerfall are the lack of onboard midi (could I use
> the midi port from my SB or even my crummy motherboard sound card and
> have audio go through the Hammerfall) and the fact that I hear it's
> somewhat hard to use. Feedback?

from what i've read (and somewhat experienced) midi through a game port on
a consumer soundcard sucks.

i don't know about other motherboards, but on mine the onboard soundcard
does not work when other soundcards are installed.

i have a delta audiophile, and using alsa-cvs on ll-patched kernel 2.4.8 i
get audio latency of 3.6875 ms @48k (on an amd 900 overclockced to 1008),
and midi latency of 1.12 ms per note (it actually works out to a delay of
.174 ms for the group, and then .319 ms per byte - which is barely less
than the standard line speed of .320 ms).

i don't know how much better the latency on the hammerfall is (or if you
need it any better), but the delta is a very good series for both audio
and midi, and m-audio even has several digital delta cards depending on your
needs.

of course, on windows or mac i'd rather have a hammerfall (as i think i
can only go down to 6 or 7 ms in windows on the delta).

-dave