Re: [linux-audio-dev] is there a hammerfall dsp driver in the works?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] is there a hammerfall dsp driver in the works?
From: David Gerard Matthews Jr. (dgm4+@pitt.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 23:21:52 EEST

While on the subject of the relative merits of various audio interfaces,
I'd like to pose a question. I'm looking to replace my SBLive with a
"pro" device. Basically, it boils down to an RME Hammerfall or a Delta
1010. I've done my homework on the two cards, but I've never seen
either of them in action. I also saw the Alesis Adat Edit card listed
as supported by alsa, but I've never heard of anyone using it under
Linux, so if anyone is, I'd like to hear about it.
Basically, I'd like 8 channels of i/o (I know the Hammerfall has more).
The fact that the Hammerfall requires external converters doesn't bother
me that much since I'm probably also picking up a digital mixer. (OTOH,
the fact that the Delta doesn't come with lightpipe i/o and requires an
external add-on for this weighs in against it.) The biggest problems I
see with the Hammerfall are the lack of onboard midi (could I use the
midi port from my SB or even my crummy motherboard sound card and have
audio go through the Hammerfall) and the fact that I hear it's somewhat
hard to use.
Feedback?
-dgm