RE: [linux-audio-dev] is there a hammerfall dsp driver in the works?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] is there a hammerfall dsp driver in the works?
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 22:37:59 EEST

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Richard W.E. Furse wrote:

> > There are none. The VX Rocket is the only PCMCIA device that could be
> > considered a serious audio interface, and it supports only 2 channels.
> >
> > --p
>
> I believe there is (was) a multichannel version of this around (may be
> output only), however I gather that both cards have rather bad S/N ratios
> because the A/D converters have to sit inside the laptop, very close to a
> lot of other electronics and probably not too well shielded.

if by both you mean the rme card as one of them, you are mistaken. their
pcmcia card is just a card which connects to the external breakout box,
which contains all the good stuff. they also make a low-priced pci card
that hooks up to this same breakout box, so you don't have to spend a
fortune if you need audio either on your laptop or home system (just not
at the same time). it also allows them to keep the price lower.

> Decent multichannel audio on laptops is turning out to be rather annoyingly
> difficult. I've been waiting for ages for the USB-based M-Audio 4in/4out
> card.

i wouldn't call anything usb decent, as latency (as far as i know) will be
too high.

> About the only other option I'm aware of (and which I'm now seriously
> considering) is the MOTU Firewire card. A very serious piece of audio kit -
> it's a fairly shallow 1U rack with lots of ins and outs. It's expensive and
> quite a lot to carry around - and I have a suspicion that writing a Linux
> driver may well be nontrivial.

it's not anywhere as good as the rme stuff, and i think similar in price
(it's performance is similar, at best, to the delta cards [so i hear]).

fwiw,
dave