Re: [linux-audio-dev] Broadcast 2000 removed from public access

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Broadcast 2000 removed from public access
From: D. Stimits (stimits_AT_idcomm.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 22:40:51 EEST

Fred Gleason wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Son of Zev wrote:
>
> > At this stage I am unaware of any precedent to this kind of claim. The claim
> > against mp3/p2p software was an issue of music copyright and the illegal
> > distribution of it - however no one ever sued anyone for making a recordable
> > tape deck or video player.
>
> Hmmm. While it isn't exactly a lawsuit, isn't this exactly what SCMS is
> all about? Banning hardware that is even *capable* of being used for
> digital IP infringement.

Yes. You would no longer be able to buy/sell even a hard drive that did
not have license enforcement in it. Anything to avoid that hardware
would result in prison time.

On the subject of what is or is not legal, something does not
necessarily have to be a winnable case to file a lawsuit, simply a
reasonable possibility is enough. It is the habit of those with lots of
money to get the other side in court, and drag it out forever, until the
defendant drops out due to financial burden. It's the only legal way to
use "abuse of process", and it is a major tool.

D. Stimits, stimits_AT_idcomm.com