Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-user] gsmp release 0.0.1

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-user] gsmp release 0.0.1
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 16:20:52 EEST

>MIDI support is on Bill's TODO list. IMO, the issue of multitrack
>recording seems better left to dedicated multitrack recorders (Ardour,
>ecasound). Snd is an editor, that's what it aims to do and that's all it
>does.

   [ ... ]

>I've been spending more time with other Linux audio editors, including
>GSMP, Audacity, DAP, and others. I'm still inclined to keep working to
>expose more of Snd's power rather than contribute to another project
>either stalled or coming in at version 0.0.1a. Just my preference, of
>course...

Yay! for sanity. Most people have no idea what Snd is capable of. So
to fix it, they sit down and write another editor. Dave is
encouraging/helping Bill to do a much more sensible thing: exposing
the things Snd can do so that you're less likely to run off and do
this.

I claim an exemption for myself, having spent quite a bit of time deep
inside Snd as I attempted to use it as the editor for Ardour. As Dave
notes, and others would do well to heed, editing an audio file is one
thing, multichannel work and/or audio sequencing is something else.

--p