Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 21:47:33 EEST

>Example 1: we first start editing an audiowave/file, and then include
>it to multitrack editor. If we now make a change to the audiowave,
>it is faster to use EDL file in multitrack editor.

agreed.

>Example 2: we first have an audio clip in multitrack editor, and
>then want to change only that instant of the clip. The clip is
>copied with a new (file?)name, and that is used in audiowave editor.

ok, i've been thinking about for the last couple of days. here's my
proposal for ardour's handling of such an idea:

 * user selects "edit region externally"
 * relevant data is written to a file
 * external editor is forked using some environment or config variable
            (e.g. "snd %f")
 * when editor process exits, check the exit status:
      if 0: take the new file

no. this is pretty bad. as you note, you really need to be able to
tell ardour that the file has been changed before exiting, so that you
can hear the result "in the mix".

defining Yet Another API for inter-editor communication? i'd rather
just write or merge an existing wave editor.

--p