[linux-audio-dev] Re: Something like Pythpn + Open GL for audio (was multitrack and editor separate?)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Something like Pythpn + Open GL for audio (was multitrack and editor separate?)
From: David Gerard Matthews Jr. (dgm4+@pitt.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 16:51:05 EET

Mark Constable wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 20:42, n++k wrote:
> > [n++k <knos_AT_free.fr>]
> > | merci.
> > |
> > | sir you have no clue.
>
> That is quite likely as I have only recently discovered the power
> of using python and OpenGL (blows me away) and I'm hoping like crazy
> to find something similar for sound ? If anyone has suggestions for
> the clueless then by all means clue me in (offlist).

What you should probably look into, if that the route you want to take,
are the Max-like "languages", (jMax and PD) or else text-driven software
synthesis environments like CSound, Common Music, or CMix. The Max-like
environments and CSound at least have excellent real-time capabilities,
and can be scripted from a language like Python, Perl, or Scheme. (In
fact, a lot of people are doing just that, and making pretty interesting
music in the process.)
-dgm