Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 03:22:15 EET

>Nor should it. IMHO the built-in notation capabilities in sequencing/DAW
>programs suck. Let a DAW be a DAW, let a sequencer be a sequencer, and
>let a notation program be a notation program. If ardour can run
>concurrently in sync with Muse, that's all the midi track capability it
>needs. If someone develops a decent notation app for Linux (which I sorely
>hope someone does, so I can finally ditch that other OS from my system,
>Sibelius being the one thing holding me back), it should support midi
>playbac/recording. But really, do we need to bundle everything together
>in one monster app?

actually, yes i think we do. either that or we have to devise some
protocol so that we can do things like "cut all tracks between time X
and Y", and have this propagated to various kinds of editors operating
on audio/MIDI/video data. personally, i'd rather do it all in one,
because it will be a shorter time till things work that way. there are
many examples of operations performed in one "realm" that would need
to be propagated to "parallel realms". it would be quite ugly, i think.

--p