Re: [linux-audio-dev] Broadcast 2000 removed from public access

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Broadcast 2000 removed from public access
From: Sander van Zoest (sander_AT_vanZoest.com)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 09:47:03 EEST

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Dave Phillips wrote:

> See the short story on Slashdot, or get the scoop (such as it is) at
> the BC2K Web site.

I think this is mostly in regards to the Dolby AC3 code, the Adobe Reader
cracked, etc.

This is percisly why it is hard to work in the media field right now. If
you are not working on saving the old school methods of the majors content
or working on technology that could revolutionize the industry you might
as well expect to become a poor bum. They are doing everything they can
to maximize their margins and will kill anything that could potentially
pose a new threat of their control. Even if what you are doing is creating
a larger market for them by porting or creating software on other platforms
they will first sue you and then turn around and milk what you did for
all its worth.

The people with power are those with IP and money. They will buy out
anyone in their way. I mean the new SSSCA bill is a good example. I have
been involved in a music industry startup that got sued to death and
have been debating on joining in on the P2P scene. The problem is that
the law is much more looking at the details and technicalities versus
the actual intend of it all. I have a lot of desire to stay in the music
tech industry, but I really hate seeing great ideas being abused where
the artists, song writers, producers and especially the consumer slowly
looses their rights. The record industry wants you to pay for a song
everytime you want to listen to it via a different medium (although I
am sure charging per second would be prefered). I am not sure what to
do about it, but I am not surprised and I hope there is something we can
do to fight this and get our rights back. The biggest problem though is
that a large percentage of the people in this world are not even aware of
the limitations they have on the content they just recently purchased.

We are in hard times right now and it almost at a point where I agree
with the Broadcast 2000 folks that maybe pulling out and avoiding being
taken advantage of until we find a way to fight for our rights is a
sad, but potential way I have to go.

Any ideas?

--
Sander van Zoest                                          sander_AT_vanzoest.com
High Geek                                         http://Sander.vanZoest.com/