Re: [linux-audio-dev] saving plugin settings

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] saving plugin settings
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2001 - 20:36:11 EEST

On Mon, Sep 17, 2001 at 10:29:59AM -0500, Kevin Conder wrote:

> > I regularly throw around 5000-10000 node ontologies (a few meg) without
> > any problems.
>
> Amazing! What's your secret? Which XML parser are you using? (Is
> it a context-less, non-validating, SAX-type parser? Must be.) Are you
> using an XSL and FO tool-chain also? Which ones are you using? Are they
> Open Source?

Not really, XML is designed for that sort of thing. I've used Xerces and
the Sun one, both were fine.

I don't use XSL on them.

> > The XML parser will reject it. You shouldn't really manually edit XML
> > files anyway, unless the editor understands XML and the DTD.
>
> IMHO, not being able to edit your config file with an ordinary
> text editor is a big step backwards. In the real world, files get
> corrupted too. Maybe no one else shares my concerns...

I didn't say you *couldn't* I said you probably *shouldn't*.

In this case I think that the application rejecting a settings file
because its been corrupted is a good thing.

- Steve