Re: [linux-audio-dev] newcomer questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] newcomer questions
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 01:56:29 EEST

>> 2. I'm a C++ programmer with a little bit of GTK experience. Are there any
> projects that I might be of some help on? I might also do some perl if someo
>ne twisted my arm.
>>
>Ardour (a big mutli-track recording/editing/mixing app) could probably use
>a few contributors with good C++ and GTK chops.
>http://ardour.sourceforge.net.

Just to be clear, Ardour is a digital audio workstation. I have no
plans at this time to add Acid loop-arrangement-type features, but it
does have a rapidly evolving audio sequencer that is probably the most
advanced of any Linux audio application. It is squarely aimed at the
commercial studio market, namely the ProTools market, in which I would
include Samplitude, Sadie, Cubase Gold Pro, and a number of others. It
is not ready for use by non-programmers, and there is a steep learning
curve for programmers who want to get involved. This is a real-time,
multithreaded application with a lot of C++ language features at
work. The rewards are that the entire structure for a non-destructive,
non-linear DAW is there to play with. We could certainly use more
hands on deck. Check out the mailist list archive for some recent
messages from me about "things for programmers to do".

--p