Re: [linux-audio-dev] newcomer questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] newcomer questions
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Sep 28 2001 - 01:58:09 EEST

>>> have you tried wine ? this app lets you run windows app on linux
>>> (www.winehq.com)
>
>Yes I have been using FruityLoops, older version, under wine for awhile now.
>Unfortunately Acid Pro requires DirectX V8.0 so I doubt it would work under
>wine. vmware would run it but you would need a bitchin machine.

AFAIK, both Wine and VMware only offer soundblaster-like audio device
access. You cannot use them with devices that do not provide such an
interface (i.e. pro or semi-pro audio interfaces). They also do not
use ALSA, which is a big problem for those of us who are serious about
our audio drivers :)

--p