Re: [linux-audio-dev] New plugins, fixes etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] New plugins, fixes etc.
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 10:38:04 EET

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 06:15:55PM +1100, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> I have never seen a real tube guitar amplifier with a crossover so the
> crossover should probably be ditched. Because guitar amps usually have
> 10, 12 or 15 inch speakers (from 1 up to 8) and rather large cabinets the
> correct EQ should probably be a high order (8 to 12) butterworth lowpass
> at somewhere between 4Khz and 10kHz to accurately model the frequency
> response of the speakers and cabinet.

It's more complicated than that... typical guitar speaker response is
very peaky.
Some info:

http://www.johnson-amp.com/pdf/CabinetImaging.pdf

http://www.netaxs.com/~lxh2/lxh2.html
(links down at the bottom)

> Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware

Oddly enough, this is my first boot on my new 40 gb (cheap!) drive,
running reiserfs for all partitions. Next goes in a dedicated 60 gb
drive for audio. These things are a hell of a lot quieter than my old
drives!

--

paul winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com music: http://www.reacharms.com calendars: http://www.calendargalaxy.com