Re: [linux-audio-dev] EVO status...was: (open-source like hardware)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] EVO status...was: (open-source like hardware)
From: Tom (stillone_AT_snowcrest.net)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 22:30:29 EET

> Sorry, I've obviously missed the start of this issue. Are you saying that
> sampling to HD is patented and no one can develop software that has this
> functionality?

No. The patent is about reading samples *from* HD and compensating for
the slowness of the initial HD seek by buffering the first few msec of
all samples in ram, allowing for immediate playback while buying time
for the hd to find the sample and stream the remainder. Prior to this,
all samplers (that I know of) had to have the entire sample library in
ram.

This raises a question. Now that desktop computers can contain 2 GB of
ram, has the window of opportunity closed for this technology? It might
be easiest to flow around this rock.

Tom