Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: John S. Rhoades (jsr_AT_clearspeed.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 22:20:58 EET

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Jussi Laako wrote:

> I would like to have soundcard with multichannel io and multiple user
> programmable DSP processors at resonable price. And of course with Linux
> drivers. Do you happen to know such device?

If your goal is to get an application running cheaply rather than the
(admittedly fun) process of building and/or programming DSP audio
systems, why not just use the host CPU? With dual Athlons and low
latency patches, you have a huge number of CPU cycles per sample
available at the drop of a millisecond. Not to mention a nice,
standard development tool chain. I expect a 1 GHz Athlon ($70) is the
equivalent of several state-of-the-art DSPs, and cheaper as well.

My hifi "preamp" is a PC with Athlon 900 Mhz processer and RME
Hammerfall. It is loafing along at 35% utilisation while doing 24,000
tap convolutions on 6 channels at 48 kHz (with fft-based convolution
algorithm).

/s jsr