Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Rene Rebe (rene.rebe_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 02:40:34 EET

Hi.

This email is proposed to gather the people who are interessted in
building such a sound-beast.

What I might do in the next time:

Building an external audio-box with multi analog input and outputs
containting at least one DSP which is conencted via an existing bus
(most likely Firewire).

Scetch from a last mail:

      Firewire
         ^

Mem <-> DSP

  ADDA-Converter

The main goal:

Doing professional multi-track recording (at least under Linux) with
the possibility to upload custom effects. Also a lightweight version
for Stage effects might be possible (only 2 channel ADDA with only one
DSP - that can operate stand-alone [because Valentin doens't like the
existing guitar effects ...] )

I think it is possible (no custom chips - _only_ stick the parts
together, nail one schematic into stone, one uniform driver and
effects can be shared.

We would do this anyway. Sharing the schematics for a better
end-product would be nicer. I do not say that it will be cheaper or
whatever. I also can not promisse how many time I will spend on it
this year (maybe none), because we want push GSMP (and becuase of
exams I hadn't my hands on it for the last week :-[[)

The only problematic part is, that the powerfull DSPs are BGA (Ball
Grid Array these days - and designing such a PCB sucks ...)

k33p h4ck1n6
  René

--
René Rebe (Registered Linux user: #248718 <http://counter.li.org>)

eMail: rene.rebe_AT_gmx.net rene_AT_rocklinux.org

Homepage: http://drocklinux.dyndns.org/rene/

Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged $25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from this message or its header, you agree to these terms.

From: Jussi Laako <jussi.laako_AT_kolumbus.fi> Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 21:12:29 +0200