Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Richard Smith (ras2_AT_tant.com)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 07:56:27 EET

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 01:40:34 +0100 (CET), Rene Rebe wrote:

>The only problematic part is, that the powerfull DSPs are BGA (Ball
>Grid Array these days - and designing such a PCB sucks ...)

Hmmm I think that most of the TI DSPs are still available in TQFP's and not exclusively BGA's.

BGA aren't really that bad. We do it at Bitworks all the time. Almost every board we design now
has a least one BGA on it. We just reciently did a CPU board that had 3 BGAs on it.

What it will do though is increase the number of routing layers you have to use and thus increase
your raw PCB board costs and NRE charges. Just remember to bring out EVERY signal off the BGA up
to the top layer so that you can cut and jump things during first article bringup.

But this grows off topic. If you need assistance e-mail me off list. Shoot.. if you want submit
me your final schematic and I'll route it for you.

--
Richard A. Smith    ras2_AT_tant.com
"I'd hang out with science kids - they can blow things up!