RE: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Helin Mikko.A (NET/Tampere) ("Helin)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 16:26:09 EET

I would also go for ICE1712. This chipset is started to be used in
consumer grade soundcards like Terratec 6fire, and I'm sure VIA/ICE have
something even more competitively priced stuff coming out soon to
compete with Creative and Crystal (why would they have acquired ICE in
the first place if all they could do is just one single AC97 codec?).
Besides the cheapest ICE card in Finland is already more inexpensive
than a retail SB Audigy (DSP24VE 117.00 e vs. Creative Audigy Player
120.00 e). I'm sure we'll starting see ICE cards <100 EUR/$ in couple
of months (maybe not multichannel though, unless you count the S/PDIF
in).

-Mikko