Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Jussi Laako (jussi.laako_AT_kolumbus.fi)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 20:22:50 EET

"John S. Rhoades" wrote:

> systems, why not just use the host CPU? With dual Athlons and low
> latency patches, you have a huge number of CPU cycles per sample

Because it doesn't have enough power. Think about few biggest Creamware
Pulsars running in dual Athlon system.

> available at the drop of a millisecond. Not to mention a nice,
> standard development tool chain. I expect a 1 GHz Athlon ($70) is the
> equivalent of several state-of-the-art DSPs, and cheaper as well.

DSP processors are significantly cheaper and give much more DSP power /
consumed W.
Would you like to have GSM phone with Athlon? It would weight 5 kilos and
you would have to carry a car battery to run it!

> My hifi "preamp" is a PC with Athlon 900 Mhz processer and RME
> Hammerfall. It is loafing along at 35% utilisation while doing 24,000
> tap convolutions on 6 channels at 48 kHz (with fft-based convolution
> algorithm).

6 channels isn't much and that doesn't have much in common with my app,
except complex convolution (which is only a very small part of it).

My 1 GHz athlon has 100% CPU load with only a tiny fraction of usual
workload.

 - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers