Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software patents ... was EVO legal status

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software patents ... was EVO legal status
From: Marek Peteraj (petemar_AT_kiwwi.sk)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 13:26:38 EET

On Wed, 2002-01-16 at 09:34, Joachim Backhaus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm living in germany / europe does that mean
> that I can ignore the US patents since we
> have a different patent system???
> (I think it's not going that way)

There are rumours floating around that the EU might want to adopt s/w
pats...
I guess that under certain conditions you might infringe a US s/w patent
by releasing the code on the internet even if you're not in US.
This raises a question what would happen if you'd just release the
sourcecode...

> Fuck software patents.
I don't think sw patents have a long life(from the legal point of view)
though...

Marek