Re: [linux-audio-dev] Soundcards: USB, Firewire, PCI, PCMCIA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Soundcards: USB, Firewire, PCI, PCMCIA
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 17:12:20 EET

I would like to point out that the Delta drivers have problems of their
own too. Right now I am running a Delta 1010 which is an incredible
setup. MUCH cleaner sound than the MOTU 2048MkII which I had an
returned. Now that I finally have the delta working, it was well worth
the money. But I had major driver issues (although in Win2K and
Win98SE) so I was curious of others experience with the setup in
Linux? One of the problems I had is when I would set the card to monitor
on CH1, I would hear nothing. I had to reinstall the driver a few times
per M-Audio advice and finally I got CH1 to monitor. Now I don't touch
the control panel for it, haha, I want it to stay working!!

I also wanted to point out for those who are not aware, be very weary of
the VIA chipset on many AMD motherboards. Apparently there are some
communication issues between the north and south bridge chips and it
causes quite a bit of latency. I have the IWILL KK266 motherboard and
experienced these problems. I found an unofficial patch that seems to fix
the problem, but just wanted others to be aware, because it is REALLY
fustrating!

Rick

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, David Gerard Matthews Jr. wrote:

> Paul Davis wrote:
> > there are much better cards than the Event series. The Midiman
> Delta's
> > would be the most obvious choice. well engineered, well documented,
> > well liked, and pretty well supported under Linux.
> >
> In fact, the guy who sold me my Delta told me specifically to stay clear
> of the Echo cards, and he didn't even know I was running Linux. From
> what I've heard, they're buggy and the drivers (Windoze, of course)
> suck. I can't say enough good things about the Delta series, but of
> course if you want a pro-audio solution for a laptop under Linux you're
> still SOL at this point.
> -dgm

| T a l i t y | +------+ |
| Richard Burnett | +-+ | |