Re: [linux-audio-dev] Soundcards: USB, Firewire, PCI, PCMCIA

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Soundcards: USB, Firewire, PCI, PCMCIA
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 18:48:37 EET

>suck. I can't say enough good things about the Delta series, but of
>course if you want a pro-audio solution for a laptop under Linux you're
>still SOL at this point.

for those who haven't seen my announcement on alsa-devel: work will
begin on the ALSA driver for the Hammerfall DSP around the end of this
month (when RME ships the h/w to me). Work on the PCMCIA version will
follow once another h/w revision is completed by RME, and they send me
the h/w to work with.

while we're here, it occured to me to switch my own driver development
to a pseudo-shareware model. the work will be done regardless, so this
is not holding a gun to anyone's head. however, if you think you'll
use a Hammerfall DSP and/or think its a good or even great thing for
Linux to be able to use hardware like this, you could consider making
a small donation (even $5 would be welcome) via my paypal account.

this is not to underestimate the excellent work that many people
(including myself) have done and continue to do for free. however, the
timeline before Mac OS X and XP become clearly adequate for high
quality audio work is shrinking rapidly; if we are to stand any chance
of getting companies interested in supporting their products under
linux, work like this needs to happen ASAP, and financial support for
this (like SuSE's employing Jaroslav (and Abramo, for a while) makes
it easier.

--p