RE: [linux-audio-dev] Fwd: Creative's IP concerns

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Fwd: Creative's IP concerns
From: Bob Ham (node_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 16:14:50 EET

On Thu, 2002-01-24 at 08:47, Pieter wrote:

> --cut---
> > *Are* any of creative's competitors releasing specs for chips that do
> > advanced effects? I understand RME and MidiMan have been quite open,
> > but they use FPGA chips, and am I right in thinking those are
> > off-the-shelf chips with already open specs?
> >

> Let me explain a little about FPGA ...

Excellent stuff, cheers for the info.

> Anyway, to get to the point: It's not the specs of the FPGA you need, it's
> the specs of what RME did with these FPGA's you need. You can treat their
> FPGA as a proprietary chip...

After actually looking at the rme site, it appears that their cards
aren't actually a good example of openness for creative to follow;
they're concerned about the dsp functions on their chips (reverb and
what-not.) Still, it shows them some of their competitors are not so
secretive.

I'd still like to know if there are any other companies out there giving
out specs for their dsp chips.. can anyone canonically tell me yay or
nay?

Bob

--
Bob Ham: bob_AT_ham.org                 GNU Hurd: http://hurd.gnu.org/
         http://mp3.com/obelisk_uk

A pessimist expects the weather to get worse. An optimist hopes it will improve. A realist adjusts the sails.