Re: [linux-audio-dev] EVO status...was: (open-source like hardware)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] EVO status...was: (open-source like hardware)
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 17:19:33 EET

>--- quote from s3000xl manual, pg. 261 ---
>Start:
>
>Here, you can set the method by which a take will commence playback.
>The options are:
>
>IMMEDIATE - This will cause the take to commence playback as soon as
> you press PRME - F8.
>MIDI NOTE - This will cause the take to playback when it receives the MIDI
> note number set in the note: field described below after
> PRME is pressed.
>--- end quote ---
>
>>From my memories of working with akais I think this means they were
>pre-chaching for playback. You can set the start postion in mm:ss:ff.
>
>I haven't read the patent, but if someone can veryify this (I don't have an
>akai at the moment) I think we have enough grounds to defend any
>prechaching we might want to do.

the quote above doesn't seem to me to provide any indication
whatsoever that precaching was being used. companies like akai were/are
quite free and easy with what they mean by "immediate" and "as soon
as". its quite possible that they did do precaching - i just don't
think this provides any evidence of that. to overturn a patent, you
need evidence not just that somebody had a way to do the same thing,
but that somebody had used the same method.

--p