[linux-audio-dev] Re: [OT] Linux Soundapps pages updated

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [OT] Linux Soundapps pages updated
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 22:29:20 EET

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Rene Rebe wrote:

> You might like to add GSMP (The General Sound Manipulation Program) to
> the site. I would recommend the "Multitrack Recording and Mixing

Damn... it sure is depressing to be a Linux audio-sw developer nowadays.
In the good old days you just put together an ugly console app and you had
the whole market in your hands. But oh well, those were the days. I just
took a web cruise starting from Dave's updated pages and checked out how
some of the these new projects are doing... Where do these come from!!?

- Audacity - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
- Brahmhs - http://brahms.sourceforge.net
- GDAM - http://www.ffem.org/gdam/
- GLAME - http://glame.sourceforge.net/index.var
- GSMP - http://drocklinux.dyndns.org/rene/gsmp/
- MusE - http://muse.seh.de/
- Protux - http://protux.sourceforge.net/
- SLab - http://www.slabexchange.org
- SpiralSynth - http://www.pawfal.org/Software/SpiralSynth
- SpiralSM - http://www.pawfal.org/Software/SSM/
- SpiralLoops - http://www.pawfal.org/SpiralLoops/
- terminatorX - http://termx.cjb.net

Things these projects have in common:

1) in active development
2) look pretty damn impressive! :)

But at the same time, there is lots of development overlap. So my real
message here is to promote JACK, ALSA and LADSPA - efforts to increase
app-to-app (and Linux distro and desktop environment independent)
cooperation in the Linux audio-sw scene.

Especially JACK is an interesting development, as it would allow users to
use multiple apps together, not just exclusive one app at a time use like
now. So point your browser to:

http://jackit.sourceforge.net/
http://www.ladspa.org/
http://www.alsa-project.org
http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/

... and join the effort!

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Old-fashioned Console Audio software for Linux! ;)