Re: [linux-audio-dev] tracker with midi input

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] tracker with midi input
From: matthew yee-king (yeeking_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 23:19:18 EET

> One issue I kinda had was how to 'advance' when you're playing
> keys. I
> guess, if the track is playing in a 'record' mode, you pick what track
> you're on and the notes just appear.

What i have seen work in trackers on other os's is a mutli note input
mode. you play a chord and it gets spread over several tracks. you
specify which tracks it should spread over. this works well if you want
to play chords in on the fly.
  some sort of auto advancing step input would be good for drums. being
able to specify the step size is important here. also useful is some way
of capturing control data, so you can put in filter sweeps and such.
with all that, you would have a serious piece of software, with ttrk's
ace interface.

// rant about guis
and on the subject of interfaces, can i say that i often find something
thats really stripped down but does the job quickly is far better then
something with a whole load of bells and whistles. for example i
sometimes use a 'hardware' sequencer - an mpc2000xl and find its great
for throwing down ideas as it doesn't try and get in the way of my
creativity with loads of visual skullduggery that mean nothing to what i
can hear. what i am trying to say is that its great to have software
that doesn't demand attention, rather you use it fluently. also trackers
(midi trackers) are great for highly quantized electronic music as their
guis present the music you are building in a raw, data -like form, quite
representative of the music itself.
// end rant

> It shouldn't be too hard to throw in. What do you think of ttrk? I
> don't get much comments on it. I should probably put it on sourceforge
> or
> something. Do you know of any bugs?

ttrk is looking good. i've got a few tracks to do in the coming weeks
for a gig so i might have a go at using ttrk to do em and see if i come
across any bugs.

matthew