Re: [linux-audio-dev] tracker with midi input

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] tracker with midi input
From: Billy Biggs (vektor_AT_DIV8.NET)
Date: Sat Feb 09 2002 - 22:21:04 EET

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, jordan muscott wrote:

> thanks for the reply, ...however our original query was based around the
> desire to have a fully functioning midi tracker for linux, with sampling
> ability not even really being a necessity......(cheese tracker doesnt
> even support midi out at this stage..). I just find it a bit strange
> that no tracker for linux has midi in support (as for me this is very
> very useful when composing melodies etc when using a tracker..).

  Hi, I wrote ttrk. And yeah, lately I've been kinda interested in just
throwing in MIDI input. I agree, it's a bit annoying. Right now I kinda
think up a line and type it in. Otherwise when writing a line I loop one
pattern continuously and just edit it by hand.

  One issue I kinda had was how to 'advance' when you're playing keys. I
guess, if the track is playing in a 'record' mode, you pick what track
you're on and the notes just appear. That would probably make the most
sense. Otherwise, just a step input mode would be nice that advances like
a 16th note or something.

  It shouldn't be too hard to throw in. What do you think of ttrk? I
don't get much comments on it. I should probably put it on sourceforge or
something. Do you know of any bugs?

--
Billy Biggs                         vektor_AT_div8.net
http://www.div8.net/billy       wbiggs_AT_uwaterloo.ca