Re: [linux-audio-dev] libsndfile (was Re: IP concerns)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] libsndfile (was Re: IP concerns)
From: Joshua Haberman (joshua_AT_haberman.com)
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 21:02:46 EET

* Taybin Rutkin (trutkin_AT_physics.clarku.edu) wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>
> > In terms of completeness, what are the file formats that people would
> > like to see in libsndfile but aren't currently supported?
>
> Reading mp3 would nice. You can do that without paying royalties, right?

Good question. I hope someone can clear this up for me.

About six months ago I checked www.mp3licensing.com to see if free
software was exempt from paying royalties for applications that only do
decoding. Indeed there was an exemption listed, though I can't remember
the exact wording it was clear to me that free software authors had
nothing to worry about.

I checked the exact same web site recently and this exemption is no
longer listed. An exemption of this sort is noted under the
"Distribution/Broadcasting/Streaming" section

http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/emd.html

but not under the "Software Products" section

http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html

Perhaps this is a moot issue, since the day Thomson goes after free
software is the day that the entire community ditches mp3 for good.

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman  <joshua_AT_haberman.com>