Re: [linux-audio-dev] MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW
From: Paul Sladen (lists_AT_paul.sladen.org)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 11:29:25 EET

On 17 Feb 2002, Alexander Ehlert wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-02-17 at 20:52, Jussi Laako wrote:
>
> > Just use cpuid instruction and switch to correct code block accordingly.
>
> Ok, sure, we all know how to do that, but LADSPA doesn't have any
> knowledge about this things yet, you can't query the plugin whether it
> wants to use SSE, MMX, 3DNOW, ..., whatever. I'm talking about querying
> the plugin at runtime and then the hosts should be able to check somehow
> if it can execute the plugin or not. So we have to set some flags in the
> plugin.

Surely it would be much better to have the plugin deal with the issue;
otherwise the API has to know about how to handle SSE4,5,6, and 10.

What the plugin does should be transparent, if it believes that it can use
the MMX extension (because it was checked), then it should make that choice
itself. Backwards compatiable; forwards compatiable; simpler.

        -Paul

--
Nottingham, GB