Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA I/O plugins

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA I/O plugins
From: Jan-Mark Batke (batke_AT_ee.tu-berlin.de)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 14:36:15 EET

Paul Davis <pbd_AT_Op.Net> writes:

> > 1) existing plugins that do this
1.1 Yes, there is

http://jezabel.sourceforge.net

Plugins for alsa, wav-files and so on.
Important note: these plugins use a extended version of
ladspa (see homepage). This is necessary to make the
jezabel plugins configurable.

> > 2) glaring reasons not to bother
>
> 2.1 all existing LADSPA hosts except "applyplugin" already have their own
> connections to audio interfaces.
>
> 2.2 most hosts have design restrictions on how they interact with
> audio interfaces.
>
> 2.3 most hosts use some aspect of the behaviour an audio interface to
> schedule their own execution, in ways that LADSPA cannot
> represent.

2.3.a) But isn't it a advantage to have a unified handling
for *all* audio parts of your software? If you use a audio
i/o plugin, all you have to know is how to handle your
plugins.

> its therefore a little silly to write LADSPA plugins to take on such
> fundamental roles. it would be a bit like writing a VST plugin that
> attempted to fill the role that ASIO does.

Btw: is there a simple ladspa host using jack for audio? Maybe thats
the right mixture.

Jan-Mark

--
.- Dipl.-Ing. Jan-Mark Batke -- TU Berlin·Secretary FT 5-1 .
 Phone: ++49 30 314-2 45 78     Fachgebiet Fernmeldetechnik