Re: [linux-audio-dev] The intel C compiler

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] The intel C compiler
From: Robert Schrem (robert.schrem_AT_WiredMinds.de)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 20:17:04 EET

On Wednesday 20 February 2002 18:20, Michael J McGonagle wrote:
> Steve Harris wrote:
> > >
> > > Ok, would I be stupid in asking if the Intel compiler's code will run
> > > on an AMD processor? Or do they do something to make it specific to the
> > > Intel series?
> >
> > No, from what I've heard the code it produces works very well on AMD
> > chips.
>
> Ok, next stupid question? Has anyone thought of doing a Linux
> distribution based around using the Intel compiler? Or is this something
> that is forbidden by their license? Are there just too many differences
> between GCC and the Intel for this to be an easy thing?

- The intel compiler can't compile the kernel. (This is on the intel homepage)
- Many GNU programs use GNU specific compiler extensions that don't work
  with the Intel compiler.
- Several command line options of the compilers differ - this means
  several configure/make scripts might not work as supposed or won't work
  at all.
- The C++ ABI is incompatible -> you can't link C++ libraries compiled
  with the GNU compiler with code compiled with the Intel compiler.
  This is a pretty hard limitation - for example for KDE stuff

This are just some things that came up to my mind quickly... ;)

Robert