[linux-audio-dev] Gnome Wave Cleaner (audio restoration) project, request for information

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Gnome Wave Cleaner (audio restoration) project, request for information
From: weltyj_AT_yahoo.com
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 21:03:39 EET

Hello all,

Over the past year, I have put together the Gnome Wave Cleaner,
aka (GWC) at:

http://www.redhawk.org/vinyl.html

The goal of GWC is simply to remove noise in the form of clicks, pops
and hiss from audio tracks. This process is done with sophisicated FFT
noise removal and audio sample estimation techniques documented by the
Phd's etc. The results are outstanding -- it is GPL'd software.

So far, I have implemented this on Linux RedHat 7.0, 7.1 using the OSS
sound drivers. It works flawlessly on those systems.

I know however, that there are problems when a user has aRTS running,
etc. The main problem is that audio playback becomes choppy. I suspect
the playback problems may occur as well with ESD.

My question is, what sound driver libraries are available to abstract the
audio drivers, so I can get around the playback problems. The other thing
I must be able to do is to get a "near" realtime estimate of the number
of samples played through the driver, so I can position the playback cursor
and do one other trick.

I'm only concerned about CD quality audio (44100 sampling rate, 16 bit stereo).

Any advice, hints tips, links would be greatly appreciated from those who've
gone down this path before me :-)

Jeff Welty