Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gnome Wave Cleaner (audio restoration) project, request for information

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Gnome Wave Cleaner (audio restoration) project, request for information
From: Stefan Westerfeld (stefan_AT_space.twc.de)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 15:56:55 EET

   Hi!

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 11:03:39AM -0800, weltyj_AT_yahoo.com wrote:
> So far, I have implemented this on Linux RedHat 7.0, 7.1 using the OSS
> sound drivers. It works flawlessly on those systems.
>
> I know however, that there are problems when a user has aRTS running,
> etc. The main problem is that audio playback becomes choppy. I suspect
> the playback problems may occur as well with ESD.

Well, arts provides a C style API called libartsc, which ships with artsd.
However, it seems that in the long run, it would be more useful if not every
sound server would do so and every application would require a huge set of
backend specific code. So Tim Janik and I started to work on libcsl

  http://www.arts-project.org/doc/csl-0.2.0.html

which is an attempt to take that burden off the developer and to provide a
portable sound input/output library. If you just need output, you might also
look at libao or libsdl. However, I think that in the long run, having one
library that covers all needs (libcsl) is the right thing to do for the linux
community.

   Cu... Stefan

--
  -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan_AT_space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany