RE: [linux-audio-dev] Choosing a distribution

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Choosing a distribution
From: STEFFL, ERIK *Internet* (SBCSI) ("STEFFL,)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 06:08:50 EET

  debian is close to incredible, not that everything works but it works
remarkably well. debian package system provides roughly same functionality
(compared to rpm) but it is very well maintained so there are basically no
problems (as far as installing, uninstalling, dependency etc. goes). I have
been using my system from about two releases bac, moved it to different HD,
(almost) different compuer, upgraded it across one or two major releases and
it works like swiss watch. however, if you want usable system you have to
use either testing or unstable distro, NOT stable (too old). however
unstable is a lot more stable than most stable releases of other distros...

  there is a huge number of packages for debian, the software that is not
packaged can be installed into /opt/packageName (or whereever you prefer,
somewhere under /usr/local) and you can use stow to manage that (works
fairly well).

  there are few good features of debian that make it easier to maintain
system:

  config files are not overwritten, if there is a new config file you can
view diff (if you changed the config file) and do whatever you decide to do
(install new, keep old, edit file), the replaced file is kept as backup file

  there is a system for alternatives for programs that have different
implementations, e.g. vi - you can use nvi, vim, elvis etc., the
alternatives system creates links so that when you run vi it runs the proper
program (same for e.g. x-window-manager etc.)

  menu - each package can provide menu, these are used by window mangers or
other programs, sysadmin or user can customize the menu. It is somewhat
chaotic but still quite useful (most packages provide menu entries).

        erik